This is pretty self indulgent.
And also a little lazy.
June is my birthday month. I will be 27 years old…inching closer and closer to that big 3-0. I’ve done a lot in just the past six months. A lot for me at least. I’ve started a blog, celebrated a relationship, moved, changed jobs, changed everything. To think the first 26 years of my life weren’t that exciting. Hell, the last two and a half years have been the most interesting of my entire life.
And yet, even with all these changes, I don’t feel like I’ve accomplished much. I don’t feel like an adult, honestly.
Does anyone ever actually feel like an adult? Or have we been lying to each other this entire time? Well, I’m giving up the ghost. I’m a teenage living in an adult’s body. I have no idea what’s going on. I don’t even know how I got here.
So, I’m being lazy this week and creating prompts around birthdays instead of really diving deep into anything book or writing related (like the purchase of Barnes and Noble that happened a wee bit back). I’m ignoring the responsibilities I have. I’m ignoring that Camp NaNo starts next week and I have no idea what I’m writing. And we’re going to celebrate my nearly three decades of life (I’m 100% saying three decades of life when I turn 30. I’m kind of excited for that) by writing silly birthday prompts.
- Planning a surprise birthday party for a friend who is constantly bugging you about if there’s a party planned.
- Forgetting someone’s birthday and scrambling to pull off a grand event you promised in the heat of a conversation.
- Dreaming about going to your crush’s b-day party which you totally won’t get an invite to (you aren’t cool enough), but surprise you do!
- Helping your crush’s friend plan your crush’s b-day but slowly fall for the friend.
- What would it be like to never have a birthday.
These are 3 to 5 word groupings to either inspire or to create a challenge of trying to fit all 3 to 5 words into your story.
- Birthday, surprise, group, happy
- Alone, away, quiet, celebration
- Weekend, party, sneak
- Pool, swimming, cake, balloons
- BBQ, golden, perfect, year
While you write these prompts, I’m going to go enjoy the last bits of my ice cream cake hidden in the freezer. Shh. Don’t tell anyone.
Let me know what sort of things these prompts helped you write, and if you have any of your own in the comments below.